Sapa is the
most famous travel destination in the
however in my opinion Sapa is losing it’s attractions due to
the mass tourism. If you want to visit a mountainous place
that still preserves the natural beauty and not affected by
mass tourism you must come to the "white plateau" of Bac Ha,
a remote destination with many beautiful landscapes,
majestic mountains, rivers, caves, and friendly, hospitable
ethnic people. In order to make your trip smoothly, I would
like to share some
useful tips in traveling to Bac Ha.
More about tours to Sapa
About Bac Ha travel
To make your trip to Bac Ha smooth, you should also take the
time to learn about this region. Bac Ha is a district in the
Northwest of Lao Cai province where there are many beautiful
natural landscapes. This highland region is home to some
ethnic minority groups such as H’mong, Dzao… and is also
endowed with majestic mountains, beautiful rivers and caves.
Bac Ha is also a place of convergence of ethnic cultural
colors, specialties of the Northwest that create a special
attraction, which draws visitors to this land. Traveling to
Bac Ha in spring time, you will admire the white plum
blossoms blooming throughout the hillsides and mountains, as
well as in home gardens.
Best time to visit Bac Ha
You are wondering about when to travel to Bac Ha? Here are
some ideal times to travel to Bac Ha, you can arrange your
• Traveling to Bac Ha in the spring, before and after the
Lunar New Year, you will admire the white plum blossom
covering throughout the mountains. You can admire the white
plum blossom hill and take photos as a memory.
• If you want to join the Bac Ha Horse Racing festival, you
should go in early June every year after the plum is ripe.
• The Procession of Water Procession on lunar January 15
• Bac Ha market is held every Sunday.
• Bac Ha Temple Festival on July 7 of the lunar calendar
Transportation to and from Bac Ha
Bac Ha travel tips: Bac Ha is about 70km from the center of
Lao Cai city towards Yen Bai and 300km from Hanoi. To travel
to Bac Ha conveniently, you can go by
overnight train to Lao
Cai and then continue on 70km by road to Bac Ha, you can
also choose one of many buses from
at My Dinh bus station.
How to reach Bac Ha from Hanoi.
A number of high-quality transport companies that operate on
the route Hanoi to Lao Cai - Sa Pa which are convenient for
you to travel and visit.
(Note, this information is for reference only, in order to
have correct information, please contact the transport
companies directly when there are changes in schedules,
+ Sao Viet transport: Stations Ben Xe Phia Nam at 779 Giai
Phong Street, or My Dinh address 7 Pham Van Dong, or 333 Pho
Moi Street (Opposite Lao Cai Station), or 69 Xuan Vien Sa Pa
Street, or 708 Hoang Quoc Viet street – Cam Duong township.
• Itinerary: Giap Bat - My Dinh - Vinh Yen - Viet Tri - Yen
Binh - Lao Cai - Sa Pa
• Departure time: Hanoi and Lao Cai (From 6:00 - 9:00 and
from 17:00 - 21:00) Sapa (6:00 and 17:00) Cam Duong (17:00
• Telephones: Station 779 Giai Phong road: 04 36686358; M?
–žnh Bus Station 04 39958127; station 7 Pham Van –ong 04
37921266. In Lao Cai 020 3638638, in Sapa 04 85867816, in
Cam Duong 020 3687687
+ Hai Van bus
Itinerary 1: Hanoi - Lao Cai - Sa Pa
• Departure time: My Dinh (8h40, 20h30, 21h00) Lao Cai 20h30
Sa Pa (8h00, 18h00)
• Tel: Hanoi (024) 3 722 25 88 - 0168 92 20 20 Lao Cai 0988
86 20 20 - 0915 67 20 20
Itinerary 2: Hanoi - Bac Ha
• Departure time: My Dinh station at 21:00, from Bac Ha
• Tel: 01676 20 20 20
Itinerary 3: Hanoi - Van Ban
• Departure time: from My Dinh 20h30, from Van Ban 20h00
• Tel: 01677 20 20 20
+ Hung Thanh transport
• Schedule: Hanoi - Lao Cai - Sa Pa
• Departure time: My Dinh (8:30, 19:30, 20:30) Lao Cai (9:00
am 19:30 20:30) Sapa (8:00 pm 18:00)
• Tel: My Dinh 0989 294294 Lao Cai 0989 753753 Sa Pa 0988
Bac Ha travel tips, if you want to go to just 1 destination
in Bac Ha, you should rent a motorbike to save money. In
case you want to move to other locations such as Lao Cai,
Ty, Sapa ... it is best to take a motorbike from Hanoi to be
more active in traveling.
Renting motorbikes in Bac Ha, you can refer to the following
• Address 1: Hoang A Tuong palace, Bac Ha Town, Bac Ha, Lao
Cai - tel: 020 3780662.
• Address 2: Hoang Vu Hotel, Bac Ha Town, Bac Ha, Lao Cai -
tel: 0915 491106 - 0912 005592.
Good Hotels, motels in Bac Ha
In general, there are not hotels and guesthoues in Bac Ha
with about 20 hotels, the prices are quite reasonable.
Depending on your budget as well as the purpose of the trip,
you choose for yourself a most suitable resting place.
Here are some good hotels in Bac Ha that you can consider:
+ Sao Mai Bac Ha Hotel - 04, Road 20/9, Bac Ha town. Room
rates range from $ 28. The hotel has spacious and airy
rooms. Located near tourist attractions, convenient to
travel around, staff are enthusiastic with visitors. In
addition, the hotel also offers bike hire services at an
+ Cong Fu Hotel - 152 Ngoc Uyen road - Bac Ha - Lao Cai.
Room rates range from $ 25. Staying at this hotel, you will
experience great amenities such as massage services, hot
tubs, golf courses, tennis courts…Surely you will have the
most comfortable and relaxing trip.
+ Sa House - Na Hoi Village, Na Hoi Commune, Bac Ha
District. Room rates from $ 11. The hotel is rated at 8.9
excellent, beautiful rooms, clean & basic amenities. Very
good owner, enthusiastic with visitors.
Where to visit? Beautiful and famous sights in Bac Ha
What are interesting things in Bac Ha? If you still do not
know where to go when you come to Bac Ha, you can refer to
some famous tourist attractions in Bac Ha:
Bac Ha Market is a weekly market in Bac Ha town. From Lao
Cai city to Bac Ha market about 65km, it takes 2.5 hours.
The market is famous for its authentic and ethnic features.
- Hoang A Tuong palace is located in the center of Bac Ha
district, Lao Cai province. This is a unique architecture of
the ancient houses of the French style, now becoming a
tourist destination not to be missed when traveling to Bac
- You can visit Ban Pho village where the famous corn wine
is made. The Pho village of H’Mong people is about 4km from
Bac Ha. Or visit Hang Tien landscape, Bac Ha temple is also
beautiful landscapes in Bac Ha.
In addition, you can attend some unique festivals in Bac Ha
• Bac Ha horse racing is held every year around May and
• The processions of Land and Water of the Tay people in Bac
Ha, takes place on lunar January 15 every year.
• Ta Chai xoe dance - Bac Ha.
• Bac Ha Say San Festival (Gau Tao Festival), held from the
2nd to 6th on the Tet new year according to the area where
people from Mong, Tay, Nung groups live.
Delicious and famous dishes in Bac Ha
What to eat when traveling to Bac Ha? Bac Ha wine, 7-color
sticky rice of Nung Din people, Bac Ha plum, bird's foot
mushrooms in Bac Ha market…are famous dishes in Bac Ha to
Good restaurants in Bac Ha you can refer to:
• Spring Fair Restaurant: 5-way junction in Bac Ha town, tel
• Hoang Yen Restaurant: Bac Ha town. tel: + 84-203 .780661.
• Xuan Ve Restaurant: Bac Ha town. Tel: + 84-203 880 352.
• Tran Sin Restaurant Bac Ha town Tel: + 84-203 880 240.
• Ngan Nga Restaurant: Bac Ha town. Tel: 0203.880.251.